Become A Member
Exhibiting Membership Information
Cape Fear Studios, Inc. (CFS) is a nonprofit 501 (c) (3) fine arts organization that provides opportunities for visual artists and art patrons to work together to promote and explore the visual arts. The City of Fayetteville, The Arts Council of Fayetteville-Cumberland County, and the N.C. Arts Council support CFS. CFS is located on the corner of Maxwell Street and Franklin Street in historic downtown Fayetteville. Cape Fear Studios provides art studios for rent, a gallery where exhibitions of work by members and visiting artists are held, retail space, and classroom space for private lessons, workshops or classes. We are governed by a board of directors which is elected by the membership and operates under by-laws.
Our stated purposes include provision for:
- An extension of the downtown cultural arts and revitalization
- Arts education for the public through studio demonstrations, tours and hands-on activities
- An outlet for artists to exhibit and sell their work
- A source of quality, locally produced visual arts for the public
Exhibiting membership benefits and responsibilities:
- Each exhibiting member (to include studio tenants) must work a set number of hours at the retail desk each month.
- Actively participate in the support of CFS by:
* Participating in a minimum of four 4th Friday receptions
* Participating in special events
* Participating in community arts programs
* Donating a piece of original art to our annual art auction fundraiser
- Attend an orientation of procedures
- Complete 1st month retail desk duty before exhibiting, demonstrating, or selling as a member of this organization.
- Application fee is to be paid at the time of application
- May submit new work for the retail area in the medium in which they were juried only
- Retail commission of 30% payable to CFS on items sold through CFS
- Classroom space to conduct classes, offer private lessons, or workshops with 15% commission payable to CFS
- Opportunities to exhibit work in various locations throughout the community
- Information on area competitions, workshops and other opportunities for artists
- Free critique sessions with professional artist and university instructors
- Organizational newsletter
- (10%) Ten percent discount on all purchases (excludes sale items)
- Free use of pottery wheels and availability of electric kilns
- Priority consideration for available studio space
Application and Jury Procedures
Member applicants submit images of their work for a 2-part jury. Each artist applying for membership must be at least (18) eighteen years of age.
Works from traditional to contemporary are considered. Three (3) area arts professionals outside the membership of this organization will evaluate your work as a whole. Your works will be judged solely on quality and not on marketability. The following is Cape Fear Studios definition of quality arts: All work, whether one of a kind pieces or limited editions, should be well conceived and skillfully executed without technical faults. Works should be made by hand or with the use of appropriate tools, showing imagination and the mark of the artist’s individuality. Work should make use of the best materials available and should demonstrate an understanding of the elements and principles of design. Objects made from commercial kits or commercially available plans are not acceptable nor are commercially made objects which have been embellished.
Jurors are instructed to view your work as a total body of work and to comment on the following:
- Competence – mastery of medium and draftsmanship, technical excellence * (applicants displaying more than one medium in their 5 examples must show experienced competency in each medium)
- Visual impact – excitement, originality
- Body of work – there should be a distinct body with a consistent level of exploration using the chosen medium within the samples provided
- Presentation – professional presentation of work (framing, matting, etc.)
Application Process- a completed application must include the following:
- A completed application. Click here to download:http://www.capefearstudios.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/MembershipApplication2partprocessrevisednewemailaddress-1.pdf)
- A ($15) fifteen-dollar non-refundable jury fee due with application
- An artist statement and exhibit resume
- An image list that corresponds with digital images on CD including dimensions and media of each piece
- A disc with 10 digital images which are representative of your work. The images should be in jpeg format with a resolution of 300 dpi. All file names should begin with the applicant’s first initial and last name followed by entry number (e.g. Jane Smith would be jsmith1.jpg).
- Application packages are due on the first of the month.
If approved at the image level, applicants are invited to submit work for the object jury, which takes place quarterly in January, April, July, and October unless otherwise notified. Applicants are asked to bring in five (5) pieces of your work for each category in which you wish to exhibit (2-D painting applicants should present a minimum of 3 examples of each of their chosen media). The 5 works submitted for jury must be original (no copies from other artists or published materials), not done under supervision of an instructor, and created solely by the applicant within the past two (2) years. Commercially manufactured objects or items assembled from kits are not accepted. All works to be juried must be presented in a professional manner, with two-dimensional works properly framed and wired (no saw tooth hangers).
Notification of the object jury results will be mailed to you within (7) seven business days of the jury date. Annual dues are ($75) seventy-five dollars and are due July 1st annually. Dues are prorated for members joining after December 31st. Dues will be billed with notification letter. Once accepted, you must attend an orientation and complete your first monthly retail duty before you can exhibit, demonstrate, or sell as a member of Cape Fear Studios.
If you have any questions about any of the above, please don’t hesitate to contact us: